11.09.2009

Acadia Amazing

Acadia A New Orleans Bistro
1303 NE Fremont Street
Portland, OR
503.249.5001


Erin: First of all I have been out of town for a spell and I have been living on Wendy's french fries and chocolate Oreo frosties. When Erik and I started this blog we vowed to save our pennies when not eating out in Portland by eating crap fast food and ramen noodles. Poor idea. However, that is not to undermine the complements which I am about to abundantly bestow upon Acadia (a new orleans bistro) but to punctuate the beauty of this meal when compared to fast food for a week.
Having been a vegetarian for several years and just starting to eat meat in small amounts I tend to quickly look over a menu and pick out all of the vegetarian dishes first. If none of them sound good I usually go for something extreme like steak or beef. I know, I don't get it either? Anyway, the only vegetarian dish on this menu happened to be goat cheese gnocchi in brown butter with sage, butternut squash, pecans, pears and wilted arugula. YUM!! I didn't need to look at any of my other options. I could hardly order it fast enough. It was even better than I could have expected. So many great flavors all in one dish! I also happen to know that everyone at the table (5 in all) was exceedingly pleased with their dishes. Not one of us left the table without wiping our plate clean with the bread the waitress never ceased to bring by our table.
I also have to commend Acadia for serving the perfect portions. I was completely full and satisfied but not too full. I had room for the best part of the night, DESSERT! I ordered old fashioned buttermilk chocolate cake. And I ate it all! Not one person wanted a bite. I think it was all that talk about swine flu and germs that kept people honest. Not me- I ate off everyone's plate with no regard for my personal health all night long. Just like usual!


Erik: On Mondays at Acadia you can get a three course meal for 17 bucks. On Mondays I order the three course meal and everyone else is left in the dust. I ate a salad and some bread pudding AND an entrée, not in that particular order. Some people might say that they don't want to pay for greens. Well, I say to them: you can't get greens for free dummy. The salad was simple and fresh. I ate the salad first. Then came my entrée which was blackened catfish over mashed potatoes, tomatoes, and okra, all in a hollandaise sauce. The portion was medium/small, but wow did it fill me up. It was really good, I daresay as far as southern bistro food a lot better than the Montage. For me, a sign of a really well put together dish is if it has tomatoes in it and I like the tomatoes. This might not mean to you what it means to me but "I liked the tomatoes." They were small and cherry, and they popped! Love when that happens. The bread pudding was super-excellent and didn't have any raisins in it. Keep raisins away from me. There were five of us at this event and I got stressed out about splitting up the check. The waitress was so great about it, and I was relieved. I'm still stressed about the squealing noise my car is making though. Go to Acadia and eat.

1 comment: