2.24.2010

Death by Chocolate

Pix Patisserie
3901 N Williams Ave
Portland, OR 97227
503.282.6539

Erin: Upon returning home from my trip south Erik and I spent a nice quiet evening at Pix Patisserie. Just kidding. It wasn't quiet. Ashley and Noah joined us for an all night get out of town shake your ass birthday party. I of course ordered the Amelie- winner of the Patis France Chocolate Competition. Vanilla crème brûlée on top of glazed chocolate mousse with caramelized hazelnuts. Another dessert I really enjoy at Pix is Aphrodite- goddess of love. It's always a great choice.
I was originally introduced to Pix Patisserie by a chef friend of mine. He took me there, poked his nose around in the back kitchen for a while and told me that all of the chocolates were hand painted. He was really impressed so I don't know why you wouldn't be.
However, I do have one complaint about Pix. There is no death by chocolate. I am a girl who needs a real chocolate fix now and again. Pix is not the place for such fixes. They serve what I would describe as very well thought out dessert creations. If you want something horribly dark and fudgey that makes your limbs shake and your body plunge into a diabetic shock you will not find it here. Go to Applebees and order the molten lava chocolate cake. Or better yet just hold your head under the chocolate fountain at your best friend upcoming wedding. Pix is only serving the finest quality desserts. There is always a perfect balance of sweet and not sweet, smooth and crunchy, rich and beautiful.
Erik: It was a birthday party times two and the party was for Ashley and Erin.  We went to Pix for dessert and it was MY IDEA.  It is really weird when you walk in because there is a counter but apparently you aren't supposed to order at the counter. You're supposed to look at the items in the case and decide what you want then go sit down then the waitress brings you a menu and you look at that too and then you order. Weird right?  Not something I can't handle though, at least not after the first 1-2 times.  I'm not a big dessert guy, but the desserts here are pretty good. One time my parents brought me home an apple almond thing from this place and it was MAD THE BOMB. It was encrusted on the outside with almond slices like a dang armadillo. Apples and almonds are a great combination.  Chocolate is not as good, but it's ok. At the birthday thing that we're supposed to be talking about here I ordered the Menage-a-trois. Knew immediately I wanted it because of the name.  It was legit. I "paired it" as they say, with a chocolate stout. Double chocolate YUM.   Hppy Bifday you guys!!!!

1 comment:

  1. We're about to go home for Thanksgiving so I'm glad I'm seeing this.
    Portland is hands down my fav place to eat. NYC a close second.

    ReplyDelete