9.25.2009

A Question

Por Que No?
3524 N Mississippi Ave.
Portland, Or 97227
503.467.4149

Erin- Well, I was having an unusually bad day yesterday. By the time I met up with Erik last night I was convinced that I was pathetic, a waste of time, etc. I was at the end of my rope and on the verge of tears. Nothing had gone right all day and it had started to make me physically nauseous. Crazed and desperate, I thought the only thing that would make me feel better was coercing the dog to lay on Erik's pillows. If I could just bring some one else down to my same level of misery I wouldn't feel so bad. Erik is a germ freak and seriously flips out when this happens.

That's when Erik slapped me with the Bryan's Bowl. He shoved me in the car drove me a few blocks to Por Que No? and bought me some dinner. Not just any dinner, but his favorite from the menu. The Bryan's Bowl is a perfect mix of beans, veggies (or choice of meat), rice, crema, queso fresco and guacamole. Served with some delicious little flour tortillas. All of that topped off with a squeeze of lime and my bad day... what bad day? I wasn't having a bad day! Por que no you ask? Because of that magical little thing called the Bryan's Bowl, that's por que no. If you want great mexican food at a great mexican price Por Que No? is definitely what you are looking for. You may have to sit outside so dress accordingly.



Erik- There was no coercion involved. Erin was on a mission to rub all of my pillows, and all of my clothes, all over the dog. Nope nope nope I said, I've had a day of backbreaking labor and we're going to go get some dinner. Then on the drive to Por Que No?, we saw our friend Nolan and his roommates walking down the street and Erin screamed "you suck!" at them like a banshee. 

I know there's tons of stuff out there written about Por Que No?, but I don't know what any of it says because I haven't read any of it. All I can say is that there's crazy buzz about this place and it's always busy, and rightfully so because it is delicious. Before last night, all I've ever gotten there was the Bryan's Bowl, which Erin has described. She is right on in her description, but let me tell you this: I laugh out loud at the name of that dish. "Bryan's Bowl." Why would you name something that is so seriously good in such a silly way? Who is Bryan? I can tell you that he didn't come up with the idea to throw a bunch of food into a bowl. Next time I'm in there I'm going to ask the staff, "What's up with Bryan? Who is he? What's his deal?"

Anyway, because Erin was getting the "Bryan's Bowl," I ordered the "Timothy's Taco Tray." No I'm just kidding there's no such thing, but I did order a Taco Pescado, which has fried snapper and the usual fish taco extras. They top this taco off with some mangoes, which in a mexican food setting I'm not usually so fond of, but I thought that they really worked great with the fish and everything else. I also got the Pollo Asado Taco which is your basic chicken taco with some chipotle spices. It was also great. In addition, they've got a really good, simple, fresh drink menu, which includes homemade horchata. Yes. Please.

I've only ever been to the location on Mississippi; the only drawback is that it is super tiny. I'm guessing seating for only 15-20 people. Outside isn't bad though, they've got a couple heaters, and the people-watching is always good on that street. Apparently there's a location on Hawthorne as well, don't know if it's bigger or not, but I'm sure the food is just as good. Here's a link to their website: POR QUE NO?

1 comment:

  1. This is so great! Now, if I just lived in Portland . . .
    (You need to figure out a way to get restaurants to let you eat for free--given that you're giving them free advertising to, uh . . . well, at least to every single Annie I know.)

    ReplyDelete